Jennifer's Reviews > Conflicts with Interest

Jun 10, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: fiction, legal, thriller
Read from June 09 to 11, 2010

From My Blog..[return][return]A fascinating insight into the world of construction, corruption, and litigation, Conflicts With Interest by Michael Ruddy is an eye-opening legal thriller about a homeowner suing the homebuilder. The builder, T.R. Morgan, is being sued by the ethically questionable lawyer Sanderson of the law firm Sinclair, Sanderson & Starr, a firm that just happens to seek out these types of cases. T.R. learns of the lawsuit while in Las Vegas, gambling with rather large stakes. Michael Ruddy writes an exceptionally good and informative novel regarding the home building community as well as the legal ramifications of some frivolous suits, and others far more serious. While the book is fast paced with plenty of legal action and definite thrills, it lacks character depth. One learns for example that T.R. has recently been widowed and is addicted to gambling yet I never felt a connection. Conflicts With Interest is a legal thriller like no other, with gambling metaphors, high stakes, and filled with enough legalese to keep the reader on their toes. This novel is indeed a page-turner, but do not expect to truly know the characters. I found myself enjoying Conflicts With Interest and recommend it to readers who enjoy legal thrillers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Conflicts with Interest.