Nicole's Reviews > Whirlwind

Whirlwind by Alison Hart

Dec 29, 10

Read in December, 2010

Whirlwind gave me the happy end I knew was coming - she'd find the horse, they'd be reunited, and nobody would really get hurt. Since I knew it was coming, I was hoping something interesting would be done to keep me on my toes.

But nothing was. It was a book - neither a bad book, or a good book - that just kind of puttered along until we got to the expected ending. Chase and Jas became awkward in their relationship (like all 13 and 14 year olds do); the relationship between the adults putters along; the rescue animals learn to love them.

The worst character development goes to Hugh. Hugh becomes a super!villain. Honestly, a man who just killed two horses for money isn't going to skulk around corners and scare the crap out of 13 year old girls. He would have people to do that if he wanted to, and the most logical thing would be to stay away from her entirely. Instead he just became unrealistic. I kept waiting for him to grow a twirly mustache.

The best characters were Grandfather and the private investigator Marietta. Grandfather's just heartfelt and sincere - the fact that he speaks with the lisp after the stroke in the book just makes me love him even more. He's the most realistic character. Marietta, the PI, is just fun to read about.

However, the book is quotable, for one thing and one thing only: the vampire shout out.

Jas flipped the page in her novel. It was a girl's infatuation with a vampire, only the girl acted so stupid and in luv, Jas couldn't concentrate on the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Whirlwind.