Alayne Bushey's Reviews > Still Missing

Still Missing by Chevy Stevens

Jun 14, 10

Read from June 09 to 13, 2010

Still Missing is Chevy Stevens’ debut novel, and if her first book has anything to say about her writing, I would bet she’s going to be sticking with the thriller genre for sometime.

Annie O’Sullivan was pretty content with her life at the age of thirty-two. A semi-successful realtor, she has a good boyfriend, a fabulous old Victorian house, and a loving golden retriever named Emma. On a day like any other she’s at an open house for one of her listings. She’s about to pack up and head home when a last potential client pulls up. Little does Annie know, but the potential client has been stalking her for years. Still Missing is Annie’s story about the year she spent as a hostage to The Freak, and the deep hole of depression and fear she’s working her way out of, all while trying to help the police identify her kidnapper and the people who may have helped him.

As a debut novel, Still Missing was impressive. Once I became involved in Annie’s plot, it was hard to put down, even during the most disturbing and difficult parts. Many times I wanted to cry with Annie, for Annie. But she persevered and so did I. Stevens’ doesn’t mince over the more difficult aspects of the kidnapping, it’s not hard for the reader to figure out what’s going to happen to Annie. It’s a difficult read, sometimes explicit, and many times heartbreaking.

My only complaint is the inconsistency between the two narrative parts. At the beginning and end of each chapter Annie is supposedly speaking to her therapist. My problem is that Doc never speaks back to Annie, and there are no quotation marks to signify speech. It’s almost like reading a letter that Annie is writing to her therapist. Later in the novel when Annie has dealings in the present with family members and the police there is regular dialogue, so I wish Stevens’ had blended these two parts instead of trying to separate Annie talking to Doc from Annie’s story. It seemed like a tool an inexperienced writer would rely on, and I think Stevens’ is better than that.

Still Missing is not an easy read, Annie is kidnapped and raped and even worse things happen to her. But if you can get past the difficult parts you will find Stevens’ debut a gripping thriller and Annie’s story a powerful one.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Still Missing.