~Tina~'s Reviews > Forbidden

Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma

Jun 30, 10

bookshelves: young-adult, adults, favorites, read-2010
Read on June 30, 2010

I don't even...I can't... I'm floored!

Forbidden is a very powerful and unnerving novel about a brother and sister who tries to raise their three other siblings and pick up the pieces from their abandoned father and drunken mother.
Lochan and Maya have a hard reality, and are barely making it in their world. With there mother slutting ways and always drunk, they have to be the responsible ones and make sure the kids go to school, feed them, do homework and basically be the parents they so depressingly need so that child services doesn't break them up.
An unbelievably forbidden bond forms and the questions arises; How can something that feels so wrong, be so wrong, feel so right?

I'm not even going to sugar coat this for you guys, this book is distrubing and totally messed up. At first I had to really struggling with the situation, trying to see them as sibling but then trying to see them as a normal couple to get through the story. Didn't work. All I could see was that they were in fact brother and sister!
This book is like a freaken emotional train wreck, you can't stop reading it once you begin know matter how much you want to stop, you just can't.
The title to this book is perfect considering the topic at hand. This is a romance that is Forbidden...literally. Yes, brother and sister get intimate, brother and sister fall in love, a love so strong and breathtaking that you don't know what to feel. Cringe? Shutter? Be happy for them? Want a different life for them? Different blood perhaps?
I have so many mixed feelings about this book, I wanted to hit something, punch someone, cry, I was constantly frustrated and shocked. On the one hand it's, well, gross, sick, disgusting, take your pick. But, on the other hand I understand where these characters are coming from, grasping the concept of a bond that no one else understand or even what the hell they've gone through, but she does, he does, so, why not?
Do you remember that saying; "You can't help who you fall in love with, you just...do?" Well this is a rather strange example of that saying, but never the less it's right there, and holds true for these two characters.

Told from both Lochan and Maya's point of views, we are easily and quickly connected to there situation, there is so much going on and that's the thing about this book, even though it's wrong on so many levels, lays a story filled with such heart ache and beauty and longing and tragic that you can't help be invested into there story, your heart really, truly goes out to them!

The writing is absolutely remarkable and I have to give Kudos to Tabitha Suzuma for writing such a gutsy, complex and controversial storyline that will surely turn a few heads, or for me, give my head a few shakes and carry on.
The ending was unbelievable and I was left just utterly floored. I'm still on an emotional high, hence this jumbling review, and I still don't even know what the right reaction to this book should even be. Its a very hard story to process.

There is a lot of sexual subtle-but-graphic scenes in this content so even though this is targeted to young adults (which I can't believe) I would say that this is more for the mature reader.
For obvious reasons I don't feel comfortable with flat out recommending this book, but I will say that despite the tremendous amount of twisted that are locked in these pages, there really is a heart breaking story of a love so strong and so wrong that I will never ever forget it.
For anyone looking for an emotional raw read with a very complicated passionate love story ought to give this one a chance, it's unbelievable.

Beyond intriguing, memorizing and shockingly brilliant, Forbidden was quite the unforgettable experience!
Kudos!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forbidden.

06/30/2010 page 335
80.0% "This is...just...Oh my" 2 comments

~Tina~ This books sounds so distrubing, and yet crazy intriguing!

message 2: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Jesus, I need to read this.

message 3: by ~Tina~ (last edited Jun 30, 2010 09:46AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

~Tina~ Yes, you do my friend! ^^

Arlene Wow! Just wow!!! I need to read this book like right now. Your review is compelling to say the least. I'm going to get this book asap. *floored*

~Tina~ OMG Arlene! I honestly don't know how you'll take it, but after the shock I think in the end you'll really love it.
Lochan is just...I can't even, amazing just doesn't cover him.

message 6: by Peace Love (new) - added it

Peace Love and Reviews damn this sounds really disturbing. I bet I am going to love this.

~Tina~ I think you'll love this Pat! It's more or less uncomfortable-distrubing, I'm reading this scene and all I kept thinking was What are they doing?? Are they really going to do this? Did she just say that?
Train wreck my friend!

Arlene I'm sure I'll be sucked in. I'm definitely going to give it a try. Thanks for the warning too! :)

~Tina~ Your welcome lol, I just don't want you reading this and then saying "Tina? This book sucks!!!" LOL
I don't think that will be the case and you might have a different reaction since I feeeeel way to much after a power read:P

Alexa I heard about this book, and I didn't think I would ever want to read it, but from reading your review, I just gotta find out what happens!

~Tina~ Thanks Alexa! I hope you like it, really I do.

message 12: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic I was unsure about it too but I'm going to read this after that great review.

~Tina~ Thanks Nic:D

message 14: by FhaL (new) - added it

FhaL wow... i really want to take my chances with this one but I'm not sure...

~Tina~ Apart of me says GO for it! You'll love it! I've never read a story this powerful before, but it's really up to you and your comfort zone towards the subject matter. It's intense, but oh so incredible:)

message 16: by FhaL (new) - added it

FhaL I'm really really curious with this. Thank you!
Hmm.... my only problem is how to get my hands on it LOL xD

~Tina~ I got it from this incredible site called The Book Depository, which as free shipping world wide. It seems to be out of stock right now but I'm pretty sure you can get it at Amazon:D

message 18: by FhaL (new) - added it

FhaL Thank you! :)

message 19: by Kim (last edited Aug 18, 2010 07:08AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Fhalin, I can only agree with Tina, read this book, it's amazing.

message 20: by Jena (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jena I felt the same way. I was just absolutely stunned. It was def one of the best books i've ever read. Love your review!

~Tina~ Thanks! This book still pulls at the heart strings:(

message 22: by Adele (new)

Adele i don't think i will be reading this book but can you tell me what happens in the end? great review though