Eva Leger's Reviews > Is Your Mama A Llama

Is Your Mama A Llama by Deborah Guarino

Jun 09, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: julias-books
Recommended for: kids who like to rhyme "llama" and "mama"
Read on June 19, 2010 , read count: once so far

This reminds me (and Julia by the way) an awful lot of the Anna Dewdney books. Or, I should say that Dewdney's books remind me an awful lot of this book because I *think* this came first. I understand that writing a book that consists of "llama mama's" doesn't give one the sole right to "llama mama" books but I don't know, there is a striking similiarity if you ask me.
Anyway, I for one like that rhyme. A lot. It just has a real nice ring to it and it's funny as hell. Julia's taken to, on and off, calling me her llama mama and we both get a kick out of that.
This is fairly short, great for a quick bedtime story, and basically is the story of a little llama asking his friends if their own mama's are llama's. Each friend comes back with a response which rhymes which is then followed by the little llama seeing the light and rhyming with whatever the friends mama is.
I'm partial to kids books with rhymes, always have been. Julia doesn't so much care about that herself and can go either way, rhymes or no rhymes.
Julia liked the story, she liked the "baby llama" but she did not like the bat. Apparently the bat's cuteness factor was too low for this book. She also said the bat was "too enormous". (He is drawn kind of big I guess.) Other than that she could find no faults.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Is Your Mama A Llama.

message 1: by Monica (new)

Monica I love that title!

message 2: by Eva (new) - rated it 3 stars

Eva Leger Isn't it cute? We're going to read this one tonight - she wanted the Backyardigans last night. lol

message 3: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Deborah Guarino's book was first published in 1989, and now, 22 years later it has been selected as this year's Pre-school choice for One Book One Denver!

message 4: by Eva (new) - rated it 3 stars

Eva Leger That's pretty cool Shannon!

message 5: by Amelia Astra (new)

Amelia Astra I love to R-E-A-D!!!!!!!

message 6: by Patty (new)

Patty Mrogik I read this book to my twin nieces when they were little and they loved it, and so did I. For days afterwards they ran around asking everyone, is your mama a llama? Lol. It's a great book for kids.