The Holy Terror's Reviews > Pretty Little Liars

Pretty Little Liars by Sara Shepard

2016128
Nov 19, 11

bookshelves: color-yellow, borrowed, mystery, young-adult, surprised-i-didn-t-hate-it, 2010
Read from July 08 to 09, 2010

This series feels like it'll be a total guilty pleasure. It really reminded me of some of the R.L. Stine and Christopher Pike books that I read as a teen, and that's definitely a good thing. It's not literary genius but it's fun and easy to read. I started watching the TV show based on this series and I wanted to find out more because the episodes weren't coming out fast enough for me. I didn't feel like reading and watching the same series was redundant, it felt more like they complimented each other. I have to say though, that I didn't get enough answers with this one, I'll definitely be checking out the next book.

This series follows a group of four girls that fell out of touch after the disappearance of their mutual friend. They've all gone their separate ways but something is bringing the girls back together: ominous notes and texts that hint at a secret that only the girl that disappeared would know. Is she watching from the shadows, or, from the grave?

I was surprised at some of the topics this book touched on: death, homosexuality, cutting, drug and alcohol use among minors, improper teacher-student relationships, and bulimia, to name a few. Obviously I'm old enough to read about these things so it didn't bother me, but I thought I'd mention it anyway. I actually really liked how the author threw in these controversial topics; it really added a real feeling to the otherwise absurd plot (absurd in a good way though! Really!)

I can't wait until I can read the next book and find out some more of the puzzle. I am definitely intrigued and I will continue to watch the TV show as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pretty Little Liars.

07/08/2010 page 0
0.0% 3 comments
07/09/2010 page 198
65.0% "Wow. This book is a lot more naughty than I thought it'd be. We've got lesbian teenagers making out, everyone smoking and drinking, improper student-teacher behavior, cutting, and bulimia. Fun times." 5 comments
show 1 hidden update…

Leah Nice review, Shannon :)
I really like this series. I mean, it's obviously not majorly complex and deep, but it's a cute little series. Of course, I still have to read the last two...LOL. I hope you enjoy the rest of the books, though :)

message 2: by Catherine (new)

Catherine I used to love Christopher Pike! I still go back and reread some of my favorites when I'm in the mood.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

You just nailed what I felt about the series :)

John I was so impressed by how authentically the issues were presented -- the drinking, drug use, eating disorders, hooking up -- all familiar from my own teens, yet most books present these things as a "message" rather than just every day reality. I'm definitely getting the sequel.

Salma Gutierrez I completely agree. I watch the tv series but I wasn't getting answers fast enough. So I started reading the series and its just as good. I also love how she put so many different situations all into one. You're review was completely correct in my point of view. You nailed every detail. I love the series, I'm actually trying to catch up with the show. It's going to take a while though.

ELIZABETH DURAN Hi baby

The Holy Terror ELIZABETH DURAN wrote: "Hi baby"

I think you are confused.