AH's Reviews > Bayou Moon

Bayou Moon by Ilona Andrews

Feb 24, 11

bookshelves: own, fantasy, necromancer, zzread-feb2011, shifters
Read from February 20 to 22, 2011 — I own a copy

There are a lot of things that I enjoyed about Bayou Moon. The world building was incredible. Ilona Andrews (and her husband Gordon) are a very imaginative duo. When they build a world, they fully immerse the reader in that world. Bayou Moon is a world of swamps, mud, strange creatures, eccentric characters, and magic.

Bayou Moon takes place two years after On the Edge. For those who have not read these books, The Edge is a place that exists as kind of a buffer zone between our world (The Broken) and the Weird (a magical parallel universe to our world). The Mire is a very swampy part of The Edge and is a place of lawlessness and feuds. It has kind of a trailer park feel to it, a poorer and wilder part of The Edge. This book focuses on William and Cerise. William was introduced in On the Edge and I did not find him a likable character at the time. Cerise is a new character, a member of the large and magical Mars family. William is on a secret mission and meets Cerise on his journey into The Mire. Right away, we experience the Ilona Andrews’ trademark banter complete with sparks flying between William and Cerise, but there did not seem to be the kind of attraction that has been done so well in their other books.

I really enjoyed the descriptions of the swamp and the creatures that lived within it. The mode of transport was especially neat, boats pulled by these otter/seal creatures called rolpies. Using a giant eel as a “watchdog” was also very original. The swamp is a dangerous, oppressive place and there are many other dangerous creatures living in it. Giant sharks, huge alligators, not to mention the feuding families that live in the swamp, all are lethal.

I loved Cerise’s family. Every single member of this family had some kind of endearing eccentricity that just made me want to read on. It seemed to me that Cerise was the smartest of the bunch as she did the family bookkeeping. Cerise was also a white flasher – she was able to control magic and flash white with her sword. I loved how the family constantly tried to pair up Cerise and William. One of my favorite scenes was when Cerise and her assorted female relatives were watching William and commenting on how attractive he was.

I didn’t particularly like Cerise. I can’t figure out why I didn’t like her. Just didn’t. I felt the same way about William’s character as well. I did like reading his “wolfie” thoughts but there just didn’t seem to be enough “wolfie times” for William.

The villain in this book was very brutal. Spider was just creepy as were his “fused” henchmen. Spider’s specialty, aside from violence, was to fuse humans with other creatures and plant life to create monsters to serve him. Think of it as a kind of "veggiepunk" (as opposed to steampunk).

I found this book to be a really imaginative read. I can’t wait until Ilona Andrews publishes the next book in this series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bayou Moon.

02/20/2011 page 1
0.0% "I spy challenge - last book!" 6 comments
02/20/2011 page 47
11.0% "The Mire is kind of depressing." 10 comments
02/21/2011 page 135
30.0% ""He'd broken bones, killed an altered human, carried her rhino of a cousin, and she didn't blink an eye. But the moment he said two words in another language, she decided to be impressed."" 1 comment
02/22/2011 page 211
47.0% "Cerise's family "welcomes" Bill."
02/22/2011 page 219
49.0% "Someone needs to squash that Spider character. He's nasty." 6 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

new_user Good review. By not enough wolfie times, do you mean he wasn't shown as a wolf enough?

message 2: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Thanks. I did want to see William's wolf a little more. I liked how you got to see his wolf thought processes and it kind of explained him a little better than On the Edge, but I just wanted more. Can't please everyone all the time.

new_user Yeah, I would have liked to have seen him as a wolf more too. ;_;

Amazon80 Great review. I agree that getting a glimpse of his wolfie thought process helped explain a lot of his bizarre behavior in On the Edge. I thought he would have to redeem himself in some way since he was sort of the reluctant hero in the first book but really Andrews just gives us more depth. I liked William in this book. I personally like this book better than On the Edge but then again ima beastie kinda girl 

message 5: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Thanks, Amazon80. I loved all the eccentric side characters more than the main characters, but that's just me.

new_user Beasties 4evz! LOL. I liked the secondary characters too, AH, in particular her two uncles (I believe?). Do you think the next books might feature one of them?

message 7: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH I was wondering who she would focus on for the next book. Maybe Lark? or how about the two boys from On the Edge George and Jack all grown up on their own adventures? And maybe a certain someone from the end of the book (view spoiler)?

I can't wait to see what they come up with.

Erika  Badass I believe the next book will focus on Kalder

message 9: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Kalder would be a good choice for a book. They'll surprise us.

new_user Aha! Kalder! I knew it! They went on so much about him in the book. I bet Jack and George and Lark get theirs too. That would be great. I don't remember that person at the end of the book, AH. Refresh my memory?

Trayana I'm pretty sure it will be about Kaldar too. And eventually about this lawyer from the Weird (Remember her? Too detailed description of her great legs.)I suppose that she is an agent of the Mirror. The mine field with gadgets of the Mirror, can only be explained via other agent there.
Can't wait to read the next installment of the series. The Gordens just announced the title: Fate’s Edge.

message 12: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH new_user wrote: "Aha! Kalder! I knew it! They went on so much about him in the book. I bet Jack and George and Lark get theirs too. That would be great. I don't remember that person at the end of the book, AH. Refr..."

Spider.

Amazon80 AH wrote: "Kalder would be a good choice for a book. They'll surprise us."

Who is Kalder again? its been a while since i read this.

message 14: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Kalder is Cerise's cousin.

Amazon80 oh yes. Thanks

new_user AH wrote: "Spider. "

LOL. Yes, but who is that?

message 17: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH He was the bad guy who was after the journal.

new_user Ohhh, right! Duh! LOL. Hm, I wonder...

message 19: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH It would be interesting to have him back in the picture...You know how bad guys never seem to die in PNR/UF land until they are sliced and diced and burned to a crisp.

new_user LOL! So true! How many times did Roag come back?

message 21: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH new_user wrote: "LOL! So true! How many times did Roag come back?"

Not sure. Every time I read a Demonica book, Roag seems to reappear nasty as ever. (disclosure - have only read 2 books so far so I may be generalizing, LOL).

new_user LOL. He is one persistent mofo.

message 23: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Great review, AH! I like that the author built on the world instead of just setting it in the Edge again.

message 24: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Thanks, Catherine. I really enjoyed the world building.

Greta is Erikasbuddy the animals in this book sound neat!! Mush otter! Mush!! I love it when authors come up with imaginative ways to use or invent animals.

I might have to look into this series. It sounds like you really enjoyed it :)

Awesome review!

message 26: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Thanks, Greta. It is an awesome world.

Jessica (Rabid Reads) "Veggiepunk" LOL. And I agree, Spider was NASTY. That thing with Clara . . . ZOMG.

message 28: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Jessica (Rabid Reads) wrote: ""Veggiepunk" LOL. And I agree, Spider was NASTY. That thing with Clara . . . ZOMG."

I had to look up what I meant. I like that term "Veggiepunk" - I have to go back and re-read this series.