Bibliotropic's Reviews > Winds of Change

Winds of Change by Mercedes Lackey

Mar 16, 11

bookshelves: valdemar
Read in March, 2011

** spoiler alert ** The second book of the Mage Winds trilogy expands on a great deal that was hinted at in the first book of the series, and includes a great many more hints about things to come. Among others, the developing romance between Elspeth and Darkwind, the further healing of Starblade, and matter of the Heartstone, Tre’valen’s thoughts and feelings towards the now-Avatar Dawnfire, and of course, Skif’s hunt for Nyara.

And the arrival of my dear dear Firesong. Honestly, who doesn’t love Firesong?

Mercedes Lackey often takes the middle of things, be they books or trilogies, to expand on things rather than to focus on big action. The initial conflict is set up in the first book, and this book paves the way for the third book. Whether this is a good thing or a bad thing is open to interpretation and personal taste. While many things within this book are essential to the plot, it could, realistically, been tightened and shorted and perhaps the trilogy could have been a duology.

But to have that happen, you sacrifice a lot of character development and interaction, which I personally find quite entertaining.

Especially when you learn about Falconsbane’s origins and his continued reincarnations, and you see the list of names that he once had and a familiar one just pops out: Leareth. I remember reading that passage for the first time and flashing back to the Last Herald-Mage trilogy and feeling my jaw drop in surprise at the tie-in. Leareth’s presence in that trilogy could have been easily contained within those earlier three books, but Lackey chose to bring him back, a mere mention that spoke volumes.

And fortunately, that isn’t something that fell prey to the numerous internal inconsistencies within the Heralds of Valdemar series.

Falconsbane/Ma’ar is definitely a fascinating character, once that I’ll probably talk about in depth after I finish the trilogy proper. The name he takes for himself, Mornelithe, established as meaning Hatred-that-Returns, is all too apt, and has layered meanings that make him well worthy of a discussion all on his own.

The Mage Winds trilogy, as I said previously, is definitely one that can’t be missed for anyone who likes the Valdemar books. It may not be one of my favourites, but it is fascinating, and essential to understanding a good deal of the history of the world that Lackey sets up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winds of Change.

03/15/2011 page 192