♡Karlyn P♡'s Reviews > Wedding of the Season

Wedding of the Season by Laura Lee Guhrke

Jun 09, 2010

bookshelves: published-2011, genre-historical, ebook, read-2010, steam-warm
Read from December 29 to 31, 2010

4.5 stars. I finished this yesterday and really enjoyed. It is set in 1902, and I loved the more modern take on historical England. Women are becoming more independent (smoking, driving and showing some ankle!), aristocracy is losing power to commercialism, and the rules of society are quickly being rewritten to allow people more personal freedoms. Music, fashion, and even transportation are all evolving, and I thought LLG did a great job bringing many of these elements into this story.

At age 23 William Mallory, heir to the Duke of Sunderland, had his life all planned out for him and handed on a silver platter - a title, money, a beautiful fiance...etc., but instead chose to follow a once in a life time opportunity and left for Egypt in hopes of unearthing King Tut's tomb. His fiance Beatrix (Trix) Danbury, dutiful daughter to a neighboring Earl, refused to go with him and live in such a horrid climate, and therefor gives him an ultimatum. He chooses Egypt, and now 6-years later has comes back to England to find financial support to continue his archaeological digs.

Will and Trix are now older, wiser and living the lives they thought they wanted. Newly engaged to the Duke of Trathen, Trix has finally gotten over the love of her life leaving his ducal duties behind to pursue his dreams, and is now ready for the comfortable (but passionless) companionship her upcoming marriage will provide. And then she see's Will riding his horse on the side of the road, and nothing is the same again.

While both Will and Trix felt they made the right decision 6-years ago, spending time together again reveals the deep passion they once shared is far from gone. Six years ago they were so focused on their own desires that the other person's desires were dismissed without any real consideration.

The chemistry between Will and Trix was so believable, and the way they slowly reveal their past hurt and accept their own part in it while learning to see the situation through each others eyes was well done. While I did get frustrated with Trix for taking so long to finally lighten up, her strict background made her actions believable. And now for Will to win Trix back, he has to prove his love and take on the monumental task of winning back her trust.

If you are looking for a regency historical with a simpering, doe-eyed virginal heroine and a dominate alpha-male hero, this isn't that book. This is a more modern historical that addresses issues of conflict where both the hero or heroine made many mistakes. It was such an enjoyable read and I recommend it to LLG fans. I can't wait for the next in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wedding of the Season.

12/30/2010
12/30/2010
42.0% "Loving it! 1902 makes a great setting, it's modern and yet still has that historical feel. I'm really feeling the desire (and past regrets) between" 3 comments
show 1 hidden update…

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley What are you thinking so far? I'm really looking forward to this one but it's receiving some negative comments over at AAR. I don't enjoy bickering but the premise sounds good to me. And having only discovered Guhrke this last year, I long to read any new book she's penned. I really like her style.

message 2: by ♡Karlyn P♡ (last edited Dec 30, 2010 12:02PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

♡Karlyn P♡ For me, I'm loving it. I'm only at chapter 5, but so far I think its great. Too soon to say how i will feel when I finish, but I have no problem with the hero and heroine's past issue (which seams to be the big contention for those panning it.) And so far it's only one person at AAR who claimed to of read any of this book, and even then she quit after 130 pages. There is another review on Amzn that also says it was a DNF.

The time line for this book is 1902, so it doesn't follow the same unwritten rules of most regency historicals. Women are becoming more independent, aristocracy is losing power to commercialism, and the rules of society are quickly being rewritten to allow people more personal freedoms. So far the hero's reasons for leaving seem 100% justified. I'm guessing their separation will likely be blamed as 'misunderstandings', and also the heroine's lack of comfort with living outside of strict societies rules. (He wanted her to forgo society life and live in Egypt, a dream he thought they both shared. She refused to leave her comfort zone.) She has grown up considerably now, and I look forward to seeing how LLG develops her character. I'll post a review, but it may be a few days. If you like LLG, I wouldn't hesitate to try this one.

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley Thank you!! With your words, it's up next on my Kindle and with traveling over the New Year, that probably means next week. I failed to look closely enough to see the thread at AAR actually only has one negative review. And then all the non-readers jump in voicing their dislike. Big mistake IMHO.

Of course, I enjoy the heroines pursuing the hero more than the other way around. Again, thanks for your encouragement.

I’m looking forward to your review!

message 4: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Waits for review :)

♡Karlyn P♡ Lea's Audiobooks wrote: "Thank you!! With your words, it's up next on my Kindle and with traveling over the New Year, that probably means next week. I failed to look closely enough to see the thread at AAR actually only ..."

Lea, I posted a comment on AAR as the 'negative' post really got a lot of the plot wrong. This is not a story about a women who chases after the hero, not even close. I really enjoyed it! Maybe not my favorite LLG, but still really fun to read.

message 6: by Keri (new) - added it

Keri Great review KarLyn.

Lisa Wonderful review! I really loved the different time period as well...made it a bit different and interesting. Looking forward to the next one!

♡Karlyn P♡ Lisa wrote: "Wonderful review! I really loved the different time period as well...made it a bit different and interesting. Looking forward to the next one!"

I can't wait for Julia's book too! I think it is rather ironic that this is actually LLG's 5th consecutive book now written in this time period, yet it feels like the first. Her last four were written in a similar time period of 1893 and later, but they felt more like a traditional 1920 regency romance. Even the dialogue felt more modern, she must have done more research or just picked more interesting characters.

Lisa This was my first by LLG and I thought she did a good job. I don't have much to compare it too though, since I am kind of new to this genre but I am looking forward to more and checking out her backlist. I have the next from netgallery but I am trying to read them closer to the release date so I'm not so far ahead, lol. I really liked Julia and can't wait to see how she unstuffs Trathen :)

message 10: by ♡Karlyn P♡ (last edited Jan 02, 2011 10:06AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

♡Karlyn P♡ Lisa wrote: "This was my first by LLG and I thought she did a good job. I don't have much to compare it too though, since I am kind of new to this genre but I am looking forward to more and checking out her ba..."

Lisa, if she is new to use you have to put Guilty Pleasures and His Every Kiss on top of your must read LLG list. She's No Princess was also a great one too. Enjoy. ;-)

Shawna Great review, KarLyn! I'm looking forward to this one!

message 12: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa KarLynP wrote: "Lisa wrote: "This was my first by LLG and I thought she did a good job. I don't have much to compare it too though, since I am kind of new to this genre but I am looking forward to more and checki..."

Thanks, I added them :) They sound good!

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley Thanks KarLynP!
My favorite Guhrke is His Every Kiss - it's also one of my favorite historicals - period. Although controversial, I loved The Marriage Bed as well.