Jann Barber's Reviews > Spare Parts: From Campus to Combat: A Marine Reservist's Journey from Campus to Combat in 38 Days

Spare Parts by Buzz Williams

Jul 12, 10

Read in June, 2010 — I own a copy

It is interesting to read a book written by someone you know, especially when you know nothing about this part of that person's life.
Buzz told about his journey the way I would expect a Marine to tell about such events. It was moving, but it was realistic, unlike some of the depictions one sees on television. Looking back on working with Buzz in a school setting, it is easy to see how his training as a Marine helped him deal with his position as a Vice Principal of a high school.
Buzz made me feel as if I were there right along with him as he handled the rigors of boot camp and the reality of life in a combat zone. I often found myself amazed at the things the men had to do. You have to be able to depend on those around you, often for your life. That can be a frightening prospect.
It also struck me that the public school system is often like the Marine Corps: sometimes, the people in charge have no clue as to how to run things; you have to try to do your job even though others try to undermine you or refuse to carry their weight; and battle scars remain long after the war.
I admire Buzz for putting his experiences on paper and am proud to know such a fine man!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spare Parts.