Denise's Reviews > Rumors

Jun 09, 10

Read in August, 2008

3.0 out of 5 stars A rumor of disappointed readers?, August 4, 2008

This review is from: Rumors: A Luxe Novel (The Luxe) (Hardcover) YA FICTION

I did not read The Luxe although it has been very popular at my school's library. I chose this because I like to read YA novels, historical fiction, and fast paced stories. The book was all that, but yet, very disappointing as far as the trite story lines of the 4 main focused upon characters. Elizabeth and Diana Holland, Lina Broud, and Penelope Hayes.
Suffice to say that the drama, angst, and shocking ending didn't quite measure up to my expectations. I guess I am naive and I prefer a happier ending to my YA books -- I've always hated when authors take some liberties with the lives of their characters and I wonder why they do it.
I could go on and detail the story lines here, but I won't. I thought the book was OK, I'm sure it will probably be read by any teen who has read The Luxe -- I've noticed that teenagers seem to expect frustration in books! I think they have a higher tolerance than I do for predictable and unhappy conclusions to a book, thinking that conditions are likely to improve in the NEXT book of the series. I must confess that I am now tempted to read the first one in the duo just to see if it was a good start. I wonder how many will be in this series? An aside: I did like the newspaper society coverage notes -- that was fun! Overall -- I'd recommend it to a teen girl who liked period novels circa 1899, romance, intrigue, imminent disaster, and reading about rich people.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rumors.