Denise's Reviews > Identical

Identical by Ellen Hopkins

Jun 09, 10

Read in September, 2008

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 stars for a somewhat disappointing book, September 2, 2008

This review is from: Identical (Hardcover) YA FICTION

I am a high school librarian and I have read all of Hopkins' previous books so I was looking forward to this one and started it as soon as it arrived. After a few chapters, reading about the incest, I was wondering what the purpose of the book was. A friend pointed out that it was a "mirror" book -- meant to reveal how a student could see herself and her life or an event through the eyes of a character and can see how that character acts or deals with a particular situation. Hopefully to encourage that student to take steps to solve the problem. I can't write much more here because whatever I say in response to what I read would be spoilers as the book moves toward a conclusion that just fell short and ended up being somewhat unbelieavable mostly because a lot of the book took place in school or around other people. The supporting characters, especially the mother, are stereotypes and not at all sympathetic. Yes I know that many awful things happen behind closed doors in families and if by reading this book even one girl gets the courage to step forth and tell on her abuser, then I guess the author will have achieved her goal. Other than that, be warned, there's a lot of descriptive sex, drugs, alcohol abuse, suicide attempts, self-mutilation, anorexia and bulimia -- I mean all of these behaviors are exhibited -- and other mature scenes both on and off-page.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Identical.