Kate's Reviews > The Circle of Simplicity: Return to the Good Life

The Circle of Simplicity by Cecile Andrews

Jan 19, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: non-fiction, self-help, how-to-home-improvement, books-read-2008, books-i-own
Read in January, 2008

I started reading this book 3 months ago and it's taken me this long to finish it. At first, I was really, really into it, loving the message of reclaiming our lives, giving back to the planet, ignoring the corporations, and returning to a simpler way of living.

I don't know why or how I got off track with it, but I did and found it hard to get back. I would read two or three pages here and there and then finally, today, I just said, "That's it, I've been trying to finish it long enough!"

The idea is that we are more and more obsessed with money, with a lifestyle being peddled to us by corporations and industries that want us to subscribe to "the good life" and that in fact, it's all a good life, whether it's what we see on TV or not.

There are a lot of anecdotes and illustrative stories and such to prove the point, but perhaps, for me, that's where the book started losing me. I started feeling like, "Yeah, I get it!!! What the heck am I supposed to do about it!?"

The book helped me to take some control back of my life and gave me the courage to take a hard look and see where I could save money, improve relationships, and reduce my carbon footprint. And since January 1, I've done so. Some of the ideas, I got from Cecile Andrews and some I got from my own thinking.

The book was good, but not quite what I wanted. At the same time was wanting less theory, I wanted more. At the same time was wanting more practical advice, I wanted less. The book was in some weird gray area for me. 3 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Circle of Simplicity.