Nick's Reviews > Aztec

Aztec by Gary Jennings

Jun 09, 10

Read in June, 2010

Check out more reviews and SciFi/Fantasy fun at Lions and Men.

Aztec tells the tale of Mixtli, a citizen of the ancient Aztec land known as The Heart of the World. We follow Mixtli throughout his entire life. We experience his friends, his family, his lovers, and his enemies. We congratulate him on his successes and we feel sorrow for his losses. Mixtli begins his journey through life as a your scribe, but quickly attains status as a warrior and then as a council member. Aztec is the story of one man's life in a world that history has forgotten: the ancient golden and jade world of the Aztecs.

The story opens with Spanish soldiers and scribes interviewing the elderly Mixtli, after invading the great city of Tenochtitlan. They do so in order to catalog Aztec culture - food, government, religion, etc. Mixtli details all aspects of the Aztec life, but also adds his own tales to the mix. The bulk of the book contains Mixtli's narrative, but is also peppered with letters that the Spaniards send to their king Don Carlos.

Gary Jennings brings a lot to the table with Aztec. He paints beautifully colored landscapes and cultures. After reading the book, I was able to picture the Aztec culture to the last reed and temple. Jennings also crafts a masterpiece in Mixtli. The reader follows the main character throughout his entire life, and it is impossible not to relate to him. The story is engrossing, and it feels like Jennings was actually in that ancient land.

Aztec is an AMAZING read, and will attract both historical fiction and fantasy fans!

5 out of 5 stars!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Aztec.