Carmela's Reviews > The Poet Prince

The Poet Prince by Kathleen McGowan

Jun 29, 10

bookshelves: read-2010
Read from June 16 to 29, 2010

This was a good continuation of the series. They are fiction in a DaVinci Code sort of way, but the best part of the series is in the historical stories that parallel the "story" McGowan is telling. I found the Medici story far more interesting than the modern-day tale that is the catalyst for the history lesson.

I sometimes feel like McGowan is trying to impart a greater "truth" using fiction and that both intrigues and frustrates me. I feel a little like I'm being taught against my will, but I'm always curious as to what her real motivation is...I will not find the solution to either of those by reading the next installment, but I will read it nonetheless.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Poet Prince.

message 1: by Erinn (new)

Erinn Sounds a little "19th Wife"ish in its style. Did you read that one? I liked it - about polygamy in the early Mormon church. Has a modern day story as well as a historical story with Brigham Young and his wives. It was good.

Carmela No, I haven't read that one. Mormons don't really interest me. This one is about the bloodline of Jesus and Mary Magdalene. It's a really great series if you don't find heresy offensive.

message 3: by Erinn (new)

Erinn Sounds interesting. I might check it out (I only say might because my stack of books to read is growing so quickly, and I never get through anything! I only read like 80 pages on vacation - over and entire week! Pathetic!). The 19th Wife was interesting to me because it was relevant to the culture of the place where I am/was living. Your review just reminded me of it because it seems similar in style.

Carmela Yeah,I can see that.

I don't get to read as much as I would like either, but it's getting better as Owen sleeps more.