Erin's Reviews > In the Name of the Father: The Story of Gerry Conlon of the Guildford Four

In the Name of the Father by Gerry Conlon

Jan 30, 08

bookshelves: biography-memoir

I saw the film adaptation of Gerry Conlon's memoir of his imprisonment in England when the movie first came out. I was immediately drawn into the story by Day-Lewis' performance, the outragous abomination of being judged by a corrupt system, and the gripping and devastating loss of his father.

The movie took some liberties by showing the father/son relationship enhanced by sharing a cell in prison, which they never did in real life.

When I went to Dublin we got a tour of one of the oldest 'modern' jails in Ireland and it looked exactly like the prison in the movie. I stepped into the cell and shuddered at the thought of being forced to live in a place like that for seventeen years, accused of murdering innocent people, watching a parent, also accused of murder, die by your side. It made my stomach turn and I wept.

I came home, ordered the book and read Conlon's story as well as another book by Robert Kee, which opened the case again, revitalizing the efforts to seek justice for the wrongly imprisoned Guilford Four and the Maguire Seven.

If this book doesn't raise your blood pressure over the miscarriage of justice, the arrogance of leadership and the need for each individual to judge according to their conscience and not their prejudices, nothing will.

HIGHLY recommend the movie, too. Heavy on the launguage, but they're punk Irish kids. What'd-ya gonna do.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Name of the Father.