Denise's Reviews > Relentless

Relentless by Dean Koontz

Jun 09, 10

Read in July, 2009

3.0 out of 5 stars Bring back my old time Dean Koontz novel..., July 13, 2009

This review is from: Relentless: A Novel (Kindle Edition)
This book was a typical recent Koontz thriller -- long on pontifications and philosophy about the current (sad) state of the world in terms of what is wrong with civilization today -- everything from the survivalists to the nature of evil, how internet is bad, etc, and short on a well plotted story. Although the main character in his narrative uses some really funny self deprecating humor -- there is lurid description of horrid tortures that befall the secondary characters in the novel.

OH I MISS THE EARLY DAYS -- Whispers, Watchers, Strangers, Dean Koontz: Phantoms, the Servants of Twilight, the Bad Place-- Twilight Eyes, Dragon Tears, Midnight, Hideaway-- I've read every single book this man has written. Many have delighted me, some have scared me, haha some have SCARRED me! But I love my Dean Koontz even though he so often disappoints me. I wish he'd stop the preaching that is communicated to the reader in the form of character reflection and get back to telling some really good stories.

This book -- well I'm just finding the motivation a little thin, some 'weird science' elements are a bit off putting -- we have substituted a genius dog for a genius kid who saves the day -- anyway -- I did race through it as usual, and enjoyed it. But I beg you DRK -- wherever you are -- bring back those good old horror stories that I knew and loved so well. I guess it's ironic that I'm being critical of a novel that is written about a critic gone over to the dark side who actually kills the authors who, in his opinion, write bad books. Nevertheless, the premise was good, but honestly, the ending and the explanation weren't very satisfying.

Of course if you're a fan you'll get this one too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Relentless.