Kristine's Reviews > Last Exit to Brooklyn

Last Exit to Brooklyn by Hubert Selby Jr.

Jun 25, 10

bookshelves: book-club, they-made-a-movie, the-big-apple, the-addiction
Read from June 19 to 25, 2010

I am a woman with strong opinions and a decisive nature. I enjoy judgment, perhaps too much. Yet, I find I cannot rate this book. Should I rate it on it's effectiveness at totally destroying the reader? If so, top marks! But what if the criteria is the reader's enjoyment? What a miserable score it would then garner. What of the value in exposing social ills and deviants, previously ignored, in the harshest light possible? Certainly, there is value in this, but what if said deviants are exposed in such a way that further strips away their already scant dignity?
I'll say this: I think Selby wrote the book he set out to write, and accomplished the goals, both social and literary, he wanted to achieve. What I am not so sure of is whether Selby's triumph should determine MY rating of the book, which is based on MY experience, right?
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Last Exit to Brooklyn.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sean Bottai Um, book club spoiler alert!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get Dan Chaon's Await Your Reply asap. Almost done with Selby and we must talk!!!