Lindsay Chung's Reviews > The Singer's Gun

The Singer's Gun by Emily St. John Mandel

Aug 09, 10

Read in August, 2010

You know, I get it. I can see the intrigue that so many people have had with this book. There are pages of reviews that are blaringly positive about The Singer’s Gun. I understand where they are all coming from. However, I personally was not completely drawn to the book. I will say that it would make for a great movie. The book does a lot of jumping from past to present and back again in an effort to help the reader to understand the exact “what happened” behind each event. I actually kind of liked that about the book, because I didn’t have to go back in the story to find out what I missed that led to this scene (yes, I’m one of those readers).

Emily St. John Mandel is clearly a gifted writer. Her attention to detail and portrayal of characters (both good and bad) are flawless. I just wasn’t drawn to Anton as a main character. He seemed so weak and sheepish throughout the entire story. Even in his flashbacks to his days selling illegal passports he was still a big old wimp…calling on Aria if the situation seemed a bit “off.” I think I might have enjoyed it more if the man had a spine.

The point here is this…The Singer’s Gun is a good book. It’s a great story with an interesting background and some really cool characters. Just don’t expect anything spectacular out of the main character, Anton Waker. You will be disappointed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Singer's Gun.