Jenneffer's Reviews > Diary of a Bad Year

Diary of a Bad Year by J.M. Coetzee

Jun 09, 10

Read in June, 2010

I was first introduced to Coetzee via his novel Disgrace. I acquired it during boot camp-style training in south africa. Maybe it should have put me off, but instead served to pique my curiosity even more about this strange and wonderful place.

I love that, after living here for almost a year and picking us this novel from my local public library, that i understand his point of view, i can visualize ever more clearly what makes Coetzee tick. There were passages, especially toward the end, where i thought i was reading late Paton. Was that deliberate, an homage of sorts, i wonder?

I was reminded of Coppola's film, Lost in Translation, wherein Bill Murray's character finds himself as a lonely outsider in a foreign place,
taking comfort in the fantasy of love with a much younger woman. This book draws many parallels, but is not, by any means, the same.

The triumverate voices that narrate this story is unique and plays on the triplicity of the christian religion's holy trinity, as redemption is found. The style was at first distracting, but once i was sucked in, it made genius sense.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Diary of a Bad Year.

06/09/2010 page 133
57.58% "This book seems too lofty at first. And by lofty i mean full of philosophy and politics. I was whizzing only through the faster paced plot of the 3 main characters. Now i am really interested in how the 3 stories weave together and will go back to make sure i haven't missed a thing!"