Ami's Reviews > Gods in Alabama

Gods in Alabama by Joshilyn Jackson

Jun 09, 10

bookshelves: literature-fiction
Read in January, 2006

Upon her leaving hometown in Possett, Alabama, Arlene Fleet made a deal with God: 1) She would stop fornicating with every boy she met, 2) She would never tell another lie in her life, and 3) She will never ever go back to her hometown in Posset. All she wanted from that 3-to-1 deal was for God to make sure that a body was never found. But then, ten years later, God brings back her past right into her doorstep. In addition, her African-American boyfriend, gives her an ultimatum: introduce him to her family or he's gone for good. Lena knows it's time for her to come home in the Deep South to confront her family in as well as her kept-secret once and for all.

This is not just like the usual "coming home story". It is more than that. I was practically hooked ever since the first paragraph of this book:

There are Gods in Alabama: Jack Daniels, high school quarterbacks, trucks, big tits, and also Jesus. I left one back there myself, back in Possett. I kicked it under the kudzu and left it to the roaches.

Ms. Jackson wrote interesting characters and a very good mystery. She reveals what Lena's secret smartly. Her story flows very nicely and her lines are funny but touching at the same time. It is about sin and it is about redemption. Once I start, I just can't stop. I easily embark Lena's journey back home. It is a quick and light read but really worthy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gods in Alabama.