Rachel's Reviews > The Hobbit

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

Jan 19, 12

Read from January 09 to 19, 2012, read count: 2

"The Hobbit" was more fun to read than I remembered. I mean, sure, it starts out a bit tediously. And it reads like a children's book. There are way too many dwarves to keep track of, but luckily half of them never even speak, so it doesn't matter anyway. Tolkien spends hours telling you about the way the mountains look, or how much Bilbo's had to eat, yet the two most action-packed events in the book (Smaug and the Battle of Five Armies) are given just a few pages altogether. All the action happens "offscreen," and there are battle casualties that barely get a mention. The end is weirdly (and kind of hilariously, to be honest) anticlimactic. It practically reads, "...and then some stuff happened, but I don't feel like telling you, so nevermind." How very hobbit-like.

And yet, despite all this, without "The Hobbit" we would never have gotten Lord of the Rings. We are introduced to hobbits, Gandalf, elves, goblins, dwarves, Gollum, and of course the ring itself. The story is relatively simple - the big adventure of a lovable homebody who is braver than he seems. Of course "The Hobbit" wasn't Tolkien's best work - but he certainly laid the groundwork for one of the most epic stories ever told.

There are some pretty exciting bits, despite all my criticisms. My favorites without giving anything away: the barrels, the wolves, and the spiders. I can't wait for the movies!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hobbit.

Quotes Rachel Liked

J.R.R. Tolkien
“His head was swimming, and he was far from certain even of the direction they had been going in when he had his fall. He guessed as well as he could, and crawled along for a good way, till suddenly his hand met what felt like a tiny ring of cold metal lying on the floor of the tunnel. It was a turning point in his career, but he did not know it. He put the ring in his pocket almost without thinking; certainly it did not seem of any particular use at the moment.”
J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

J.R.R. Tolkien
“Go back?" he thought. "No good at all! Go sideways? Impossible! Go forward? Only thing to do! On we go!" So up he got, and trotted along with his little sword held in front of him and one hand feeling the wall, and his heart all of a patter and a pitter.”
J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth I haven't read it in ages either. I'm interested to see what you think.