Margali's Reviews > The Land of Painted Caves

The Land of Painted Caves by Jean M. Auel

Apr 09, 2011

did not like it
Read from April 06 to 07, 2011

I know, I know...this series went crashingly downhill after Clan of the Cave Bear, but I still want to find out how the saga ends.

And...now I'm done. Bleah. Talk about going out with a whimper. Even though it got to be a little ridiculous about how Ayla invented everything from needles to helicopters (heh), it was at least interesting to me to read how those things *might* have been created. This book didn't have any of that. Lots of long descriptions of caves, like Auel couldn't bear to leave a single one out. Flat characters acting out of character. No sense of personality for Ayla's daughter. Depressing ending. I hated it.
32 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Land of Painted Caves.

04/06 page 301
40.0% "Sadly, this book is rather dull. Only halfway through, and I've read enough cave descriptions to last me the rest of my life!"
04/12 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica are you serious?? I LOVED these books, and have been waiting like 9 years for this one to come out, I heard she was coming out with a 7th but it looks like that isn't happening now. Can't WAIT!

Margali I loved (still do) Clan of the Cave Bear, thought Valley of Horses was OK, and felt that Mammoth Hunters could have ended 400 pages earlier if Jondalar and Ayla had just talked to each other. Plains of Passage seemed like Auel felt obligated to write a sex scene every 3.5 pages, and the last one (can't remember it's name right now) felt very scattered.

message 3: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica haha, it's been so long since I've read them! But yes the Mammoth Hunters where they were constantly add odds w/ each other because Ayla was goofing off w/ someone else dragged on a bit. I do remember liking the plains of passage though and shelters of stone. Anyway, Hope you like the new book, I'm very excited for it to come out in March!

message 4: by Caryn (last edited Nov 13, 2010 09:21AM) (new)

Caryn I agree - I am sooo glad the final book is coming out (I had read something a little while ago about how the author was thinking about adding a 7th book and I practically screamed NOOOO!). I need to see it through to the end...

Renee Margali wrote: "I loved (still do) Clan of the Cave Bear, thought Valley of Horses was OK, and felt that Mammoth Hunters could have ended 400 pages earlier if Jondalar and Ayla had just talked to each other. Plai..."

I agree about Clan, loved Valley of the Horses the best of all, Mammoth Hunters could've been 400 pages longer (love those crazy red-heads!), and yes Plains of Passage could've ended sooner if those two had just TALKED. But what else are you going to do when travelling for a year other than hunt, sleep and have sex. That's why it happened every couple chapters. Makes sense, right? Loved Shelters of Stone and I am counting down the days until this last book!
Sincerely, a fellow fan,
Renee

message 6: by Ivana (new)

Ivana After Clan of the Cave Bear, the series became "cave people having sex" and "Ayla invents a helicopter".

Margali Ivana wrote: "After Clan of the Cave Bear, the series became "cave people having sex" and "Ayla invents a helicopter"."

Spoiler alert, Ivana! I haven't gotten to the helicopter yet! :)

message 8: by Ivana (new)

Ivana Margali wrote:

"Spoiler alert, Ivana! I haven't gotten to the helicopter yet! :)"

How come? The last book in the series I've read was the third one. :)

Connie Parsons I thought the whole series was great!