Jessica Leatham's Reviews > Whirligig

Whirligig by Paul Fleischman

F 50x66
Jun 14, 10

bookshelves: english-420

Brent Bishop is a young man on a journey for redemption. After taking the life of an eighteen-year-old girl while attempting to take his own, Brent is perhaps lower than he has ever been in his life. However the mother of the girl he killed asks that he make four whirligigs, a symbol of her daughter’s happiness as a child, and place them in the four corners of the United States as a way of allowing her spirit to live on. Brent undertakes the challenge. Along the way, he comes in contact with a large variety of people, and each one makes an impression on his life. He comes to realize that people are like whirligigs—influencing those we come in contact with who will then go on to influence others. I loved this story. It was a simple, easy read, and I would highly recommend it to any audience—young adult or adult. The beauty and simplicity of recognizing how our lives can influence others for good or for bad is tied up in a sweet story of forgiveness and redemption. It is also a story of remembering. As the characters in this story look to the past and remember both good and bad, it allows them to look forward to the future as complete people. Remembering, in this sense, is one of the ways that Brent finds his redemption.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Whirligig.