Ashley's Reviews > Post Office

Post Office by Charles Bukowski

U 50x66
Jun 08, 2010

it was ok

I'm not sure what all the fuss is about with this book. I've read books by hippies, beats, stoners, nihilists, existentialists, etc. that had a great deal more substance and interesting thought than this narrative. It's a little slow with periods of great interests and then who-the-hell-cares, this-makes-no-sense and redundancy moments.
Ultimately, I found this protagonist revolting with his lack of Desire--if you don't like it, find something else more appealing! Instead, he slides around like a leech sucking the life out of anyone who is sad enough to stay around him long enough (which creates a circle of depression in which once they realize what a loser he is and they leave him he slinks off to the next rebelling/depressed girl). If there is anything he will be remembered for it's making others realize they have it better than this guy because at least they're willing to try at something.
Maybe it's the capitalist, progressive in me but this guy what just wasting oxygen with his life. I kept trying to see the something, even if it wasn't tangible but philosophical, in his existence but I came up empty.
It just wasn't for me, but a short read and one that will carry you thru the ever increasing time spent in waiting rooms.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Post Office.

09/06/2016 marked as: read