Alan Reinoso's Reviews > Freak the Mighty

M 50x66
Jun 08, 2010

liked it
Read in January, 2009

I read this book in 7th grade it is OK but not one of my favorite books. Max is a learning disabled giant person who makes friends with Freak a really smart child who hasn't grown because of a disease. They go on many pretend quests while Freak tries to teach Max some of his knowledge. Soon Maxes father comes back from jail and tries to get back his son. He was in jail for killing Max's mother but he tell Max it is not true. After Max starts to believe him but then he remembers seeing his mother get killed by his father. Within many events his father is caught and sent back to jail. But Freak was dying and he had lied to max that they were building him a new body.I felt that this book is better for kids from the years 9-12. The book overall was heart touching. I loved that two kid would become friends when they were so different, but I think that's what makes them friends. I did enjoy this book but encourage that it is for a younger audience. I do feel that it did not explain some scenes well enough but it did express the theme about legacy and friendship very well.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Freak the Mighty.