Denise's Reviews > Breaking the Silence

Breaking the Silence by Diane Chamberlain

Jun 08, 10

Solid but predictable mystery..., January 28, 2010
After reading a few of Diana Chamberlain's more recent novels, including my favorite, The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes, I could tell immediately when I started this one that I was reading one of her earlier books. That's not to say that this novel isn't good, it is -- but it is a fairly predictable story and the revelations at the end come as no surprise to any mystery reader. There are multiple things going on in the book but all eventually comes together to wrap up the various pieces. It's a story of family relationships including great love and loss and getting answers.

I enjoyed the book well enough -- it's fast paced and the narrative draws the reader in with the topic -- torture and experimentation on patients at psychiatric facilities circa 1950s. It's hard to believe that many of those "treatments" were allowed and even encouraged!

In another note, however, I must say that the sudden muteness experienced by the child, Emma, in the book was never fully explained and then mysteriously disappeared. I'm assuming it was some sort of traumatic guilt-like reaction.

All in all, this is an easy read, an early work by an author who has since become more accomplished!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breaking the Silence.