Bobbi Woods's Reviews > The Buccaneers

The Buccaneers by Edith Wharton

Jun 23, 10

bookshelves: book-club
Read from June 08 to 19, 2010

This was a book club read, and I was excited because it falls into my more recent 19th century England genre fetish/obsession!

This book was written mostly by Edith Wharton but she died before finishing it in the 1930s. She left behind a pretty clear outline so someone else finished it for her--an Edith Wharton biographer! (her name escapes me) It was seamless and you would never know that it was written by two people. During the first half of the book, I kept thinking, "snooty, snooty, snotty women, just get OVER yourselves!"

Anyway, these "rich" American girls being pushed by their mothers to fit into New York society circles decide to go to London and meet the men of their dreams at the suggestion of their governess. One or two end up marrying royalty and the others marry plain old rich English men. England ends up being a not-so-friendly culture to them--they are viewed as obnoxious and crass and not as sophisticated. This is where the term "Buccaneers" comes from--because they seemed to come and "conquer" and "pillage" the British men, much to the dismay of the British mothers!

The book began picking up when the main character, Nan, who married a Duke and became a Duchess becomes unhappy and starts to realize her husband doesn't really love her--she is just a figurehead who must do as she is told. She lost a pregnancy trying to save a dying boy in the village on her husband's land. Her husband was furious and things were not the same between them. In the meantime, she falls in love with another man, who has always loved her and sees her for her true self--a caring, down-to-earth person. She tries to be proper--nothing actually happens physically between them--just a lot of hot an heavy thoughts! :-)

The first half of the book was just OK--it definitely got better when the drama with all the crazy marriages begins in the second half! As I always say, I didn't love it, but I am better for reading it!

Jane and Aunt Cath--you might both enjoy this book!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Buccaneers.

message 1: by Barner (new)

Barner I will put it on my list, Bobbie.