Hannah's Reviews > Heart-Shaped Box

Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill

Jun 17, 10

bookshelves: 2010-reads, horror, too-awful-for-words
Read in June, 2010

The scariest thing about Joe Hill's debut book, Heart Shaped Box, isn't the actual story, but what lies between the front cover and the inside title page of the Harper paperback version. In it, over 18 reputable newspapers and acclaimed writers attempt to prop up little Stevie King, Jr's Joe Hill's novel with some seriously excellent reviews. Scary because all these awesome reviews lead you, the reader, to expect that Heart Shaped Box is the next BIG thing in horror.

Only it's not.

Not by a long shot.

It must be tough to be an aspiring writer when your dad is Stephen King. It must be even tougher when you decide to make your first published novel a horror one. That's alot of pressure, and unfortunately, Hill fails IMO. Perhaps he should have sharpened his pen with chic lit. a-la Nicholas Sparks, but then where would he have fit in all the tats, genital piercings and the snuff film? Not to mention the 2-dimensional characters who you never grow to care about, or the horror that fails to materialize over 351 looooong pages.

Hill might have what it takes to eventually be a credible horror writer, but he doesn't do himself any favors having such a glowing cadre of book reviews for a book so undeserving of them. It may lead the reader to suspect daddy calling in some favors....

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heart-Shaped Box.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Arlene (new)

Arlene Too funny! You read the most interesting books there Ms. Lily White. I love it!

Okay, don't you think one Sparky is enough in this world? :) Poor Hill, looks like it's an up hill battle for him... no pun intended. Oh and boooo to the misleading accolades... so wrong!

message 2: by Hannah (last edited Jun 14, 2010 03:12PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Hannah Yo, yo, Wonder,
It was such a frustrating book, and took me about a week to finish! I am sure daddy called in some favors with those reviews, because there was seriously nothing remotely scary about this book.

...and yes, one Sparkless is enough for the literary world - lol!

Suzanne Perhaps if your review focused a little more on the actual novel and less on how much disdain you have for Joe Hill because he is Stephen Kings's son, I (and I am sure others) would take you a little more seriously.

message 4: by Hannah (last edited Jun 13, 2011 01:40AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Hannah Suzanne wrote: "Perhaps if your review focused a little more on the actual novel and less on how much disdain you have for Joe Hill because he is Stephen Kings's son, I (and I am sure others) would take you a litt..."

Suzanne,
I'm not concerned about how "seriously" people take my review, but the fact that 10 people have "liked" it pretty much speaks for itself. And of those 10 people, I only know 3 of them as past or present Goodreads friends.

But thanks for dropping by and sharing your insight. It's great Joe Hill has such a devoted fan :)

Nymphredyl LOL the part about the newspapers so true. In Hill's defense I'm currently reading 20th Century ghost and it seems more fitting of the praise he receives from them and yeah, heart shape box really is sort of pointless and unoriginal.