Ann's Reviews > The Curious Garden

The Curious Garden by Peter  Brown

Jun 08, 10

bookshelves: absolute-favorites, childrens-stories, picture-books, favorites
Read in June, 2010

So many of my friends had spoken so highly of this that I was afraid by the time I read it I'd be somewhat disappointed. I'm very pleased to say that I was wrong. Even with all the "hype" this little book still managed to touch my heart by the second page and hold me till the end.

What I love about this book, is not only the wonderful idea of a garden as something of a sentient being, wanting to explore the green-less city around it, but also how the young gardener in the book is such a happy boy - so full of life! Why, even in a gardenless city he enjoys being out of doors and exploring in the rain - what's not to love!?

The text of this story is so simple, sweet and poignant. And the accompanying illustrations are just the same. What I found interesting, is that on many pages, I looked at the illustrations first, before I read the text, something I realized I don't often do anymore.

This isn't a 'whack you over the head with a green thumb' sort of book, but the message is there, though it is more one of hope and optimism. To me, the story was just as much about the creativeness and initiative of the little boy, as it was about 'nature redecorating' (one of my favorite lines, from the author's note).
Definitely, *definitely!* a must read!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Curious Garden.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lisa Vegan Yes!!! So glad that you enjoyed it too. I love this one so much.

message 2: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann Kathryn bought it she loved it so much, so I was really hoping I'd enjoy it! I was surprised it touched me so much :)

Lisa Vegan I was touched too; there's something special about this one.