Kerry's Reviews > Zodiac

Zodiac by Neal Stephenson

Jul 09, 10

bookshelves: iownthis, science, technology, environmental
Read in June, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Holy Moly, a Stephenson book with a satisfactory ending! Well knock me over with a feather!

Seriously, though: this is more about the environment, and activism, than technology (speaking in the context of this book as a Neal Stephenson novel.) So it's a little bit less appealing. Though still sciencey, and also really gross and completely terrifying. We are all going to die of cancer or something else even more horrible. I'm glad I don't live in Boston.

Really seriously, though: Zodiac is about a really brilliant dude who works for the fictional equivalent of Greenpeace. He's the Waterhouse character of other Stephenson novels, but slightly less socially awkward. He's very likable (a comment I often make about Stephenson characters), and also very scary, as he makes clear just how awful (and routine) are the things that big corporations are getting away with.

Wow, that was an awkwardly worded sentence. Sorry, but it's after 2 am and I want to go to bed! Uh, read this book, it was good. 3.5 stars. The end.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zodiac.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mordicai (new)

Mordicai I liked Zodiac! Especially because the "people complain about X, but SCIENCE says that is dumb & complaining about Z is waaaayyyy more important!" appeals to me as a knowitall.

ALSO? DEVIL WORSHIPPERS.