amelia cavendish's Reviews > The White Road

208341
Jun 28, 10

bookshelves: action, books-2010, fantasy, fiction, gay-male
Read from June 13 to 27, 2010

** spoiler alert ** The sequel to Shadows Return, The White Road picks off where the previous book ends with Alec and Seregil escaping with Sebrahn (Alec's 'child') to Aurënen with the help of Micum and Thero. Here, after a near miss with Sebrahn's killing song, Alec and Seregil decide the best thing is to return to Plenimar to get the books the alchemist had on the making of rhekaros. To both find out more about Sebrahn and also stop any more rhekaros being made.

The quest gives these books the flavour of the first two Nightrunner books that are still my favourites. We also get to meet the people of legend, and Alec's people, the Hâzadriëlfaie, although the trouble with a whetting of the appetite is that you want more and I definitely did want to know more about this mysterious clan. Plus, we are introduced to Seregil's homeland, Bôkthersa.

So why not five stars? Because the focus was still very much on Alec and Seregil, and not the other characters that I came to love in the first two books. Sure there are some guest appearances and casual mentions, but other than Micum, I didn't really feel like I'd caught up with anyone else.

Also I would have liked to have followed Alec and Seregil a bit once they got back to Rhíminee... Hmm, I have just read on Wikipedia that Lynn Flewelling is going to write two more Nightrunner books so I'm probably just being greedy wanting everything stuffed into this one book! I look forward to reading more...
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The White Road.

06/13/2010 page 47
12.0% "This is more in the vein of the first two Nightrunner books and I'm really enjoying it..."