Nicole's Reviews > Library Wars: Love & War, Vol. 1

Library Wars by Kiiro Yumi

Jun 08, 2010

bookshelves: manga, shojo
Read on June 08, 2010 — I own a copy

I so LOVED this manga. I hope there are many more volumes to come. Not sure how much widespread teen/adult appeal there is, but as a librarian, I couldn't get enough!

At a time in the not-too-distant future, the government has formed a censorship outfit to rid society of what it considers bad media - if the federal government doesn't like the author or the books ideas, it wants the item unavailable to the public. In response, local governments have joined with the libraries to form military defense forces to help protect free access to media for all citizens. Thus, there are really two branches of any library - the regular librarians, and librarians on the Defense Task Force (who get military grade training, guns and all, in addition to standard library training).

Enter our main character, Iku Kasahara, who has wanted to be on the DTF ever since she was in grade school and witnessed a DTF officer rescue one of her favorite books from government confiscation. So, volume one shows us a grown up Kasahara who has entered librarian training and eventual transfer to the DTF-specific training (due to her enthusiasm and ideals and some physical skills that set her apart from other women). Kasahara is the first woman assigned to the DTF as a trainee and, as such, has a lot to prove to herself and others. And, since this is a shojo manga, we of course have an implied blossoming relationship between Kasahara and her strict (but softening) superior, Dojo.

I delighted in every minute I read this one. Librarians willing to pick up guns and slap on handcuffs to anyone trying to censor materials and limit free access to media? Waving their intimidating DTF badges in the face of surly government officials? Who wouldn't love this! I can't wait for the next volume to be released (in September?)... *big grin*
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Library Wars.