Robin's Reviews > Imani in Never Say Goodbye

Imani in Never Say Goodbye by Jackie Hardrick

Dec 18, 07

liked it
bookshelves: urban-fiction, 2007-list
Recommended for: teens who like realistic fiction
Read in December, 2007

For years I've been handing urban fiction books to the teens at my library, but I must admit that I haven't read many of the edgier titles. Back in June when I volunteered to compile a list with another young adult librarian who is in another urban area of the state, I finally had to sit down and take a closer look at these books.

The one I started reading yesterday morning while I was at Tolman HS for their annual health fair was "Imani in Never say Goodbye" by Jackie Hardrick. So this is on the heels of reading the Christian title yet I still noticed similarities in how the characters talk, which is how I hear the kids talking to each other. What was really interesting to me was that my table at the health fair was right next to Planned Parenthood. One of the things kids could get at their table was free condoms, if they guessed at how many condoms were in this huge phallic-looking container on the table.

So, my pens and bookmarks couldn't compete with that, of course, but I reminded the kids that librarians keep any questions asked strictly confidential (unless we're entertaining each other with funny patron stories when we're out together...just kidding!) And, I also reminded the kids that if they needed the contact info for PP, for example, I could give it to them!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Imani in Never Say Goodbye.