Hayden's Reviews > Jesus, Interrupted: Revealing the Hidden Contradictions in the Bible & Why We Don't Know about Them

Jesus, Interrupted by Bart D. Ehrman

92056
Jun 08, 10

Despite having an incredibly stupid title, this book is fascinating. Ehrman dishes all the dirt on not just the contradictions between how, say, Mark and Luke tell Jesus' story, but also who the authors of the New Testament really were (and more importantly, who they were not), what the early sects of the Christian church were like, and how they battled it out to decide what would be left in and out of the canon.

A couple of my favorite tidbits:

1. Matthew says that Jesus was born "of a virgin" because he was eager to show that Jesus was the fulfilment of Hebrew prophecy. But the scripture he's referring to, in Isaiah, actually just says "young girl"--the Greek Old Testament Matthew was working from was a mistranslation of the original Hebrew. So that's where the whole virginity obsession comes from.

2. All this time I've been blaming Paul for being a horrible misogynist and writing all that stuff about the submission of women, but it turns out he didn't write it. Bible scholars agree that letter was written much later by some scribe who just wanted to keep the ladies down. Sorry, Paul.
6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jesus, Interrupted.

Neil Wagoner I also liked learning that Paul wasn't as anti-women as he is often portrayed (p. 188-9).

One point of clarification... This was in referen...moreI also liked learning that Paul wasn't as anti-women as he is often portrayed (p. 188-9). One point of clarification... This was in reference to 1 Corninthians, which Paul DID write, it is just that some later scribe inserted the "be silent" verses later.

Kenny Bell PLEASE READ* Does Bart Erhman provide the resources or evidence to where he claims "We don't have the original bible" and "we dont know who wrote the bible"? He just says this thing without pointing readers where to look this up. And it was also weird to me that if we dont have the original bible then what did they use to translate to English?

Kenny Bell I still dont understand that all we have are copies. The earliest copy of Mark is dated to 70 Ad-- 40 yrs after Christ. In the middle of those 40 yrs were oral tradition(telling about Christ) Until someone wrote them down. Who is to say that the copy that we have of mark now is the original copy?