Jesse Booth's Reviews > The Passage

The Passage by Justin Cronin

May 13, 11

bookshelves: 2011
Read from February 25 to May 13, 2011

Well, I finally finished it. I can see why a lot of critics say that this book is too long. Lucky for Justin Cronin, I relish in long books.

I would have given The Passage 5 stars if it weren't for the beginning. I didn't care for it at all, Wolgast, the Nuns, etc. The language was bad and the a lot of scenes were overly gory. Not my cup of tea. Had Cronin removed the beginning and kind of flashed back here and there to the time before, the book would have been far more enjoyable.

When the book comes to the Colony 100 years later, that's when the story got good for me. I immediately like "Lish." I can see how most people would like Peter the most, and obviously in the next couple of books we'll find out why he is so important, but my very favorite character was Michael (aka Circuit). Maybe it's because I'm an IT guy and can relate to him... I dunno, but I thought the characterization was phenomenal, despite what a lot of reviewers say. None of the characters overlapped in personality; they each were very distinct and interesting.

400 pages into the book, if you would have asked me if I would continue the series, I probably would have said "no thanks." But the ending was exciting, and I really want to see what pans out in next book. Even if the book is a little long.

Good job, Justin Cronin. It was a fun beginning.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Passage.

05/11/2011 page 652