Alice's Reviews > Dead Until Dark

Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris

Dec 18, 07

bookshelves: urban-fantasy

Even if you don't like vampires this is a really funny but not too fluffy (mystery/romance) series to get lost in.

Sookie Stackhouse (she's from the South, that's USA, so maybe they have weird names) is a telepathic barmaid who doesn't know how to control her abilities. She lives in a world where vampires have recently 'come out' due to Japanese manufacturers creating synthetic blood.

She hates her abilities, comes from a working class background (so no financial stability, which I find refreshing) and can't date or have many friends due to the fact that she knows what people are really thinking all the time.

Enter the vampire (drumroll please) Bill. One of the reasons I love this series is that the vampires actually have normal names (Bill/William, Eric, Pam). Of course our heroine starts dating said vampire, but mostly for the attraction that she can't actually hear his thoughts. However, naturally once the other vampires discover her interesting ability they start taking an unhealthy interest in her.

Unfortunately, at this time a series of murders of young women known to date vampires occurs, upsetting Sookie's quiet town.

My favourite aspects of this novel where actually the inclusion of a working class heroine who is mostly self educated, which I think is quite unusual but refreshing. I also loved the small town atmosphere where everyone knows everyone else's business, there's a established class system and where gossip flies fast and furious as an important aspect of everyday life.

However, the best aspect is how real this world feels and the reactions of its characters. I really enjoyed this book, as evidenced by the amount I've written on it.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead Until Dark.