Katie Kroutil_butler's Reviews > Caucasia

Caucasia by Danzy Senna

F 50x66
Jun 24, 10

Read from June 08 to 22, 2010

This book "Caucasia" by Danzy Senna to me was a real eye opener. Even though this book is fiction, it really appeals to ones eye on the aspect of race. To read about how differently one sister is acted towards than another because of her appearance was pretty sad to think about. Her sister Cole, three years older than Birdie, the main character, was this light skinned, lighter haired women who got more attention due to theses characteristics. While reading this novel, I could feel my skin humming with sympathy for Birdie. I’m not going to lie, I dislike reading quite a lot but even though this was a challenge to read I feel that reading more and more of it kept me attuned to the story behind it. Not only did she struggle to find her family roots but she would also struggle to find out what it really meant to be of two different races, Black and White. Birdie takes on a lot, such as verbal abuse from people and things like excluding her from things due to her color. It really hit me hard while reading this because as a minority in my school, I could kind of relate to the hardships she has to deal with. I really immensely feel that this story is told the best way and it gave so much enthusiasm on reality for young colored women.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Caucasia.