Nomes's Reviews > Tomorrow, When the War Began

Tomorrow, When the War Began by John Marsden

This is the first book in the series that caused a borrowing frenzy in the school library. Seven teenagers camping in the bush. Australia gets invaded. And the teens go militia :) First published in 1993, it's just as awesome today. And *drumroll* the movie is coming to the big screen this year! It's the biggest budgeted movie ever made in Australia. I hope it makes the whole world go crazy over these books!

This is my absolute favourite series ever and I cannot recommend it enough to adults and teens alike.

7 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tomorrow, When the War Began.

Quotes Nomes Liked

John Marsden
“the biggest risk is to take no risk. or to take crazy risks.”
John Marsden, Tomorrow, When the War Began

Aleeeeeza I AM FINALLY GOING TO READ THIS NEXT MONTH. i am really effing excited<3333

Nomes oh i so hope you love it. it is my fave series of all time. i am so nostalgically in love with the characters (i re-read the whole series again last year and still loved it the same)

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I need to finish this series. I think I got to book 3. I ordered them from Arrow book club (do you remember that? do they still have that??) in year 6 and I was all omg am I seriously aloud to be reading this?! way better than BSC :)

message 4: by Reynje (new)

Reynje Arrow Book Club!! Oh, that brings back memories... :D That was the highlight of primary school for me!

Wendy Darling I've heard such great things about this series. Did you end up liking the film, Nomes?

Nomes @ Trinity: Arrow book club is awesome. and YES they still have it :) I get copies from my kids and also hand them out at school :)

@ Wendy: yes, i did love the film (it was awesome seeing my characters on screen) but i think without having loved the series beforehand, i would have just liked the film in a regular way, if you get what i mean ;)

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Yay! I can't wait for my yougin to start bringing it home...tho that might be a while. I agree re the film, I got tingles haha but would've been different going in cold.

Nomes oh i had tingles too. i even cried (view spoiler) i think b/c i already knew and loved the characters i loved them before they even came on the screen. and i loved them for everything i knew they were going to go through in the future...

LOL @ the youngin' they have FOUR different book clubs they bring home: arrow, lucky, scholastic, and ... mind blank... ;))

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Now I want to watch it again :)
Lucky! Ha yes with that cat, awesome. At the moment she's only interested in eating books but some could argue that her love for them is just that intense ;)

Wendy Darling Gotcha. I'll definitely read before watching. :) I'm glad the movie did it some justice, though! They so often don't.

Cass -  Words on Paper Reading it now! The gang are enjoying their time in Hell as I type this. ;) Yeah, I'm not that far in this. Woot woot!

Nomes Oh I am so glad you're reading this Cass! The first book in the series is definitely the weakest, IMO. They get better as they go along... really addictive :)

and nice to see you Cass (it's been a while ;) I have hardly been around)

Cass -  Words on Paper Well I have watched the movie so I do know roughly what happens. If you say this is the weakest of the series then the series (as a whole) must be amazing! I'm noticing a LOT more detail in the book though (also I hardly knew each character's name until the near end in the movie, but that's normal for me :P).

I know you were overseas. Hope you had a nice time. :) I'm nearing the end of semester, which means exams and unpaid time working & learning at the hospital! Bleh. I can't wait for mid-November to roll around so I can try and thin out my TBR stack.

Nomes Oh, I loved being at uni but there were patches of the year that were just totally insane with exams and prac and assignments. I pulled so many all-nighters. That semester over feeling will be amazing though :)

Good luck with everything!

(I did go overseas, it was awesome. It's weird getting back to regular life now...)

message 15: by Ceecee (new) - added it

Ceecee what did you think of the movie?