T. Edmund's Reviews > Thirteen Years Later

Thirteen Years Later by Jasper Kent

Jun 07, 10

After a not so bright review of Twelve, I wasn’t sure what I would think of Kent’s next piece Thirteen Years Later.

At least I can say definitely it was by all means better than its predecessor. The internal monologues while still present were much more succinct and didn’t detract too much from the action, which was also less clichéd and showed more storytelling skill then before.

13 has its faults. The first hundred pages are spent catching up from last novel (we already worked out that some time had passed OK?) and the flow of the plot was a little jerky between part’s two and three (it felt like the individual vampire story was being stretched out in order to fit with the historical drama.

In saying that the historical part of this historical fiction is absolutely brilliant. Slotting vampires into history is perhaps no more original than idiot’s attempts to claim famous historic figures as followers of ‘The Secret’ or as Asberger’s sufferers (at least the latter might be true), but Kent’s techniques are fresh and interesting.

Not surprisingly certain villainous characters make a reappearance in 13, and Kent realising that we know what he plans doesn’t try to pretend that said character will be returning again.

Something that struck me as strange however is the character closing epilogue that finishes the novel. Hard to explain without a little spoilage, but basically our main character lives out the rest of his life out with no triumph whatsoever. I didn’t necessarily expect to have Aleksei as a recurring central character for an entire five part epic fantasy but I was surprised to see him effectively taken out of the game, with no more of a win than getting to be with his girlfriend.

I am definitely hooked though – bring on the next one.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thirteen Years Later.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bernadette (new) - added it

Bernadette Robinson I've picked this up recently from my local Library. I also read Twelve and wasn't blown away by it but I'm a sucker and had to see what the second in the series is like. Thanks for the review.

message 2: by T. (new) - rated it 4 stars

T. Edmund Bernadette wrote: "I've picked this up recently from my local Library. I also read Twelve and wasn't blown away by it but I'm a sucker and had to see what the second in the series is like. Thanks for the review."

Looks like we've got number four out last year and last one out this year - beat you to it!

message 3: by Bernadette (new) - added it

Bernadette Robinson So have you read the third one as well?

message 4: by T. (last edited Jan 23, 2014 07:28PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

T. Edmund https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Not sure that link is going to work - its called the Third Section, I enjoyed it less as the characters were not as strong

message 5: by Bernadette (new) - added it

Bernadette Robinson Yeah the link works ok. Will read the review later thanks.