Kristin's Reviews > Tête-à-Tête: The Tumultuous Lives and Loves of Simone de Beauvoir and Jean-Paul Sartre

Tête-à-Tête by Hazel Rowley

Mar 06, 2008

Read in February, 2008

Beauvoir and Sartre have always been fascinating to me--as individuals and as a couple of sorts. They chose a rather complex model for a relationship and created something unique. Somewhere in this book, I believe Rowley recounts either Beauvoir or Sartre writing to the other and explaining that in their relationship that they discovered their other self. And, as an outsider who combs through some of their history, this appears to be true.

Michael Dirda from The Washington Post Book World wrote a review of this book. I took a couple of classes from Dirda at the University of Central Florida where I was studying for Master's degree in Creative Writing before taking off for California. It really was an honor to take his classes. His love and appreciation for books is absolutely contagious. He has a few remarkable books of his own that are well worth. He makes mental maps where he takes the roads of all the books he has read and shows how they might intersect, merge, detour, etc. The journey is always a blast.

I did describe this book to more than one person as US Weekly featuring French intellectuals, so I had to giggle when he arrived at a similar conclusion!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tête-à-Tête.