Lexie's Reviews > Raised by Wolves

Raised by Wolves by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

I read Raised by Wolves in one sitting, completely absorbed by the novel. Something about Bryn called to me and made me want to know that things work out for her. That she finds what she is looking for. Does she have a bad life? Not really. Its maybe not a normal life, nor a particularly safe one at times, but overall she is cared for and loved, has people who will protect her and fight for her. A best friend who dotes on her, a foster mother who adores her and a guardian that looks out for her.

Its possible that if Chase had not shown up Bryn's life wouldn't have changed. Other than a certain restlessness, she doesn't feel an impetus to leave the Pack or truly buck Callum's authority. Maybe this would have changed as she had gotten older, and the ending suggests that the outcome was inevitable, but possibly it would have gone over better. Been less messy as they say.

Bryn makes mistakes, and isn't afraid to ask for help, or to go against the grain and risk everything for something she believes in. She isn't Miss All Powerful, in a pack of werewolves she barely is as powerful as a toddler quite frankly, but she's clever. She sees loopholes and works them to her advantage. This leads to problems between herself and Callum, or one of the others in charge, but that doesn't stop her. I liked that about her. I liked that she understood all the risks, but didn't let that faze her. She was strong, and resourceful and resilient.

Chase was intriguing. He didn't quite act like what Bryn had expected, and thus nothing like what I was expecting from her descriptions of newly made weres, but sometimes it was obvious. The way he stressed a word or the way his eyes followed Bryn. As pieces of what happened to him and pieces of Bryn's past converged, the comfortableness that seemed to be between them almost from the first meeting only intensified. I wonder if Callum understood that completely. It was a little frustrating just having things from Bryn's point of view; I wanted to understand Callum better, beyond what Bryn theorized and he let out.

Sometimes he terrified me and sometimes I was envious of Bryn for having such a protector. Right or wrong, justified or otherwise, Callum always had Bryn's well-being and safety foremost in his actions. And it saddened me that such a thing had to shatter. Almost like a self-fulfilling prophecy--Callum did what he did, said what he said to protect Bryn and keep her close, but by doing so he drove her away.

The book, in a word, was enthralling and I look forward to reading more of Barnes' novels!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Raised by Wolves.

Quotes Lexie Liked

Jennifer Lynn Barnes
“Bryn, when you were six years old, you tried to bungee jump off a jungle gym by connecting the straps of your overalls to the bars with your shoelaces. Caution has never been your strong suit.”
Jennifer Lynn Barnes, Raised by Wolves