Tarah's Reviews > Oh, The Places You'll Go!

Oh, The Places You'll Go! by Dr. Seuss

Jun 07, 10

When growing up you’re told, “anything is possible”, you’re told “good things happen to good people” and your brainwashed into thinking everything plays out for the “better”. Now at 14 years of age I guess I can say everything you are taught to believe all these ideas jammed into your head from the previous years are a joke. These ideas are lies made up to keep you wondering, dreaming, looking forward to accomplish fantasies, move mountains. What I don’t get is why do people set you up to fail? I mean sure a lot of people can fulfill there dream become rich, famous, beautiful but not everyone makes it, not everyone hits the jackpot. I guess this is the reason I love Dr. Seuss, he gives it to you straight, he tells you the truth he encourages you to succeed without filling your head with ridiculous dreams. In his book Oh! The Places You’ll Go he expresses everyday life in a poetic rhythmic manner, which everyone no matter what age race or sex can read and learn from.
One thing I love about Oh! The Places You’ll Go by Dr. Seuss is how I can relate to the literature by reading between the lines. On page 3 dr. Seuss writes, “With your head full of brains and your shoes full of feet, you’re too smart to go down a not-so-good street.” When I read this line I think of morals, right from wrong, and the choices people, teens, just like myself have to make everyday. Now being a teenager peer pressure is always lurking around. Kids experiment with drugs, alcohol, etc. and the pressure for teens to follow the crowd and experiment with illegal substances is so heavy it’s easy to fall under the weight. Dr. Seuss understands how life can get hard and how there is stress and pressure, but he also understands that everyone of us has a choice, we have thousands of choices, we have brains to think and feet to take action, we can all choose NOT to go down that “not-so-good street”.
Besides Dr. Seuss’ unique rhythm and poetic writing style I love how his literature expresses thousands of philosophical lessons and theories on life. The paragraph from page 13 I believe expresses one of my favorite philosophical questions, why is it so hard for people to live every day as if it were there last? The paragraph states “Waiting for a train to go or a bus to come, or a plane to go or the mail to come, or the rain to go or the phone to ring, or the snow to snow or waiting around for a Yes or No or waiting for their hair to grow. Everyone is just waiting.” People spend today thinking about tomorrow. People spend their days hating and holding grudges instead of letting go and moving on. People waste their life away they don’t treat it as a gift or show any bit of gratitude. People wait, they wait and wait and wait until they’re waiting for their gravestone to be carved their will to be read and their spirit disappear. Why is it so hard to live each and every day as if it was your last? Why can’t our world be peaceful, loving and welcoming. Dr. Seuss try’s his best to get people to realize what I have already realized. Life is short don’t waste it waiting and hating and judging if you want to do something do it, try new things, enjoy bliss and happiness you only have one life don’t throw it away.
Sonya Sones, my favorite author of all time, she has a similar writing style to Dr. Seuss, they both write using poems. Sonya Sones writes teenage novels about growing up, fitting in, falling in love and more by writing beautifully written plots full of interesting characters. Dr. Seuss writes short picture books for kids about growing up, the world, human virtues and more by writing exciting plots full of silly characters. These two authors seem very different, but they both share a common writing choice, poetry. Sonya Sones uses short lines portraying feeling emotion and character’s thoughts. While Dr. Seuss uses a combination of long and short lines that rhyme, portraying character’s thoughts and emotions. Even though Dr. Seuss is “for kids”, books for mature teens are full of the same themes, lessons, and writing styles.
Dr. Seuss is a truly talented author, he has written hundreds of books and not one lacks deep meaning or unique quality. His thought provoking, exciting, fun texts are for all ages to enjoy and learn from. Oh! The Places You’ll Go by Dr. Seuss is an amazing book full of lessons to learn. I give it 5 stars and recommend everyone to pick it up and enjoy the ride, because it will be a journey you will never forget.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Oh, The Places You'll Go!.