Marti Melville's Reviews > Pirate Latitudes

Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton

Jun 07, 10

bookshelves: favorites
Read in March, 2010

Imagine yourself treasure hunting through stacks and piles of paper when suddenly you discover a jewel hidden in the files once belonging to Michael Crichton. Pirate Latitudes is just such a find, discovered after the notorious author had passed on, a manuscript not yet published.

The very idea of reading a manuscript written by one of the masters intrigued me enough to open the cover of this newly published novel. To my surprise, the words were scribed much the way a rough draft manuscript would be written, prior to the many editing efforts accompanying a polished publication. It was exciting reading paragraphs which appeared as mere entries for ideas to be developed at a later time. As I am an author still crawing along the path well paved by Mr. Crichton, I was inspired to read his fresh, raw imagination spilled out on each page.

Paragraph by paragraph, the tale of the swaggaring Captain Charles Hunter bubbles forth as the reader is swept along his plot to capture the Spanish galleon, El Trinidad and make off with its bounteous booty. Cunning and skill are required to achieve such a feat, which Captain Hunter is advised is impossible. Still, the tempation for such a feat is irrisistible as he gathers a rag-tag crew, each member selected for unique and valuable skills he (or she) brings to the undertaking. Prodded by the generous bribery of Port Royal's own governor, Sir James Almont, Captain Hunter set sails in the Cassandra, his destination the dangerous port Mantanceros. The adventures to follow test the skills of his crew and the bravery of their captain, the outcome not without reward.

Pirate Latitude is a wonderful read for those who are Michael Crichton fans, as well as for aspiring and established authors alike. The reader will delight through the typical story-telling style used by this great author as he follows the same adventurous artestry recognized in his well-known works, Jurassic Park, the Andromeda Strain, the television phenomonon ER and others.

I heartily bequeath my recommendation to those seeking adventure on the high seas with a masterly written novel, Pirate Latitudes.

www.martimelville.com
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pirate Latitudes.