Ms.Walton's Reviews > Shooting the Moon

Shooting the Moon by Frances O'Roark Dowell

Jun 07, 10

Read in January, 2009

Shooting the Moon by Frances O’Roark Dowell was a good, quick read. I had, fortunately, brought this book home with me when school was cancelled because of a wind chill warning threatening -45 degree temperatures. I was easily able to read the whole book in a day.

The main character in the book, Jamie, has grown up in the Army. Her dad is a colonel, they’ve always lived on Army bases, and now her big brother has enlisted too. Jamie and her brother always loved Army life and playing soldier games. She is so proud of her brother going into the Army to serve in a real war in Vietnam.

Jamie learns to develop photos at the rec. center on base when her big brother sends her film from the war. The realities of war, brought to light in those photos, hit Jamie hard.

This book is set in the same time period that I grew up in, so it struck a chord with me. A good friend of mine, who isn’t much of a reader unless I find him a really good book, was once in the Army and also really into photography. This was the perfect book to recommend to him! I called him right up with the suggestion. He’s a busy guy, so the quick read will suit him well.

I’m trying to decide whether this book would fall into the genre of realistic fiction or historical fiction – either way, it is book that you will enjoy

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shooting the Moon.