Nadia's Reviews > Angelology

Angelology by Danielle Trussoni

Apr 16, 12

bookshelves: 2012
Read from June 03, 2011 to April 16, 2012

This book is like sitting through a long history lecture where you know that if you were actually THERE experiencing what was happening, that it would probably be pretty exciting but sitting in the classroom listening to your teacher read from the textbook - well, it's just lost the magic.

This book is full of lectures. Literally. A third of the book happens at angel school where we sit and listen to lectures that explain the 'back story' of the book. It's full of lines like: "Since we have the book of Enoch before us, let me read you what they did to poor Azazel" and then the professor proceeds to read to us for ten pages. Are you kidding me?!

Or "I will tell you a story, one that very few have heard before," and then the character TELLS us the story versus any kind of showing of plot progression. Or "Can you read me what that letter says?" and then the character reads the letter for us AGAIN for the third time in the same chapter (as in the author actually wrote out the text of the letter more than once in a single chapter).

There is VERY little 'showing' in this book. I would say 80% of this novel was plot vomit in the form of lectures and stories and characters talking to each other in mundane situations.

The ONLY reason this book got more than one star was because the plot had some merit to it despite the POOR POOR execution and delivery... although to be honest, I should take away that extra star because the ending sucked and made me groan out loud for wasting a week of my life reading this crap.

Edit: yeah, I took away that star. 1-star for you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angelology.

04/14/2012 page 200
43.0% "Why am I still reading this... ugh."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chy (new)

Chy Did you know that Jaqueline Carey has a book on angels? I can't remember if I told you about that or not. I've had it on my shelf for quite some time and have yet to read it. Gah.

Nadia Is it the art book or those novels - the Banewrecker, Godslayer ones? (I think they're about gods and things... can't remember) I read the first.. Banewrecker, and bought the second but didn't like the first enough to read the second one... the art one I haven't seen...

message 3: by Chy (new)

Chy It's the art book. It's beautiful. I just haven't read it. :-) And I've never really felt compelled to read Banewrecker, thought I have thought about it. I believe I'll just put that out of my mind.

message 4: by Chy (new)