May's Reviews > Summer Knight

Summer Knight by Jim Butcher

Sep 17, 10

bookshelves: action, scifi-paranormal-fantasy-etc, series
Recommended to May by: blog reader
Recommended for: fantasty/wizard/faerie fiction fans that can handle a darker read

Jim Butcher, you got me good on this one. My favorite wizard Harry Dresden is back, and this time the only reason I knew he would make it through is the fact that there are a lot more books in his series. EGADS. Dresden is in a very dark place (coming off his last adventure) and isn't in any form to deal with faerie wars, let alone the council (wizards) AND vampire courts at war with the wizards...

He balances the gloom and gore with humor (Harry always has good lines) and the strengthening of a trusted number of friends as well as too many plot twists to count. The author is highly skilled at balancing detail and getting you right there in the place/moment that none of us (well, most likely) have EVER been in... while keeping the action and plot flying along.

It's dark, it's violent at times, and yet... I never felt brought down or depressed by the book. I don't know where he'll take us next - but I'll be there.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Summer Knight.

09/16/2010 page 195
09/16/2010 page 207
56.0% ""I reflected that odds were that not a lot of clandestine meetings involving mystical assassination... had taken place in a wal-mart super center. But then again, maybe they had. Hell, for all I knew, the Mole Men used the changing rooms as a place to discuss plans for world domination with the psychic jellyfish from planet X....""

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Great review, May. I read this one back in June and I loved it. I'm more in love with Harry with each book.

message 2: by May (new) - rated it 5 stars

May thanks! I agree - and I'm glad this series is getting better and stronger for me!!