Mark's Reviews > In the Land of Believers: An Outsider's Extraordinary Journey into the Heart of the Evangelical Church

In the Land of Believers by Gina Welch

Jun 09, 10

Read from June 07 to 08, 2010

I found myself wondering why I'm attracted to these "outsiders trying to get a handle on Evangelical culture & practice" books... I speculated yesterday that it's because I (even though I grew up in Southern Baptist churches and have been in the ministry since the mid-80's) feel like an outsider sometimes myself.

A couple of quick thoughts before I wholeheartedly recommend reading the book:

- Thomas Road Baptist Church isn't a perfect snapshot of the Evangelical movement. Heck, it's not even a particularly good snapshot of Baptist life. But nothing about her account of her two years there "undercover" struck me as false or made up - I've seen many if not all of those things in the churches I've been around, both the good & the bad.

- I really like the way Ms. Welch wrestles with the ethical/moral dilemna of lying about what she believes. This does not come off as an easy process for her.

OK, now go read the book... esp. if you're a part of a more traditional Evangelical church. You may find yourself offended at times - but you may also get some clarity about how we best communicate what we believe through hearing Gina Welch tell her story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Land of Believers.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

John As a mainstream Protesant, I find these evangelicals' smugness rejecting other denominations as "non-Christian" VERY offensive!

message 2: by Mark (last edited May 05, 2011 08:49PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mark John - you'll need to define "denomination" for that comment to make any sense. And, for that matter, "mainstream Protestant".

Those come in lots of flavors. :-)

John Say ... United Church of Christ, Presbyterian, Methodist

Mark Then your comment about "evangelicals' smugness" is unfair.