DubaiReader's Reviews > Attachment

Jul 21, 10

bookshelves: ew-pm-bk-grp, 2010
Read from June 07 to July 21, 2010

Not recommended.

The 2 star average rating given for this book is a pretty accurate representation of the response of our book group who felt that the sexual content was rather too explicit and the story itself was a bit weak. In reward for our efforts to finish the book we weren't even sure whether the protagonist stayed with her husband or left him.

The central character is Jean, a forty-something journalist with a syndicated health column. Her husband of many years is an advertising excutive and together they decide to leave the rat race and move to the tropical island of St Jacques. This was one of the better parts of the book - the island was picturesque and vibrant, although only a handful of local characters appear.
When Jean picks up correspondence relating to Giovanna, Mark's 'bit-on-the-side', she starts to question their future together and all his actions are analysed in relation to this new discovery. However, rather than confront him with it, she impersonates him and corresponds with Giovana by e mail. Needless to say things get out of hand, ultimately threatening their future together.

I found Jean to be rather a sorry character, absorbed in herself and rather selfish. I was frustrated by her reasoning for not confronting Mark "because the moment had passed".
There are thousands of better books out there - I'd give this one a miss.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Attachment.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Julan (new) - added it

Julan Al-Yassin I haven't started it yet! My eyes are still burning from all the studying. I guess I have 5 days!

DubaiReader Join the club!
I just finished The Glass Room by Stephen Mawer - which was excellent - for a BG this evening.
I need to get straight into Attachment but also have to discuss another book that I'm half way thru for a BG the day after!!
Then I think I get a break :)

Good luck with the exams, when do you start/finish?

message 3: by Julan (new) - added it

Julan Al-Yassin Exam already done on Sat (thank god!) result in 3 months though

DubaiReader How did it go?
It will be good to have you back at BG.

DubaiReader Are you going to finish Attachment????