Stephanie Orban's Reviews > Merrick

Merrick by Anne Rice

Jun 07, 2010

it was ok

It's definitely not one of Rice's best and in hindsight, it's even a toss-up as to why this book was written, other than more royalties for Rice, because it doesn't add anything valuable to the overall plot of the Vampire Chronicles. Much of the book delves into reminiscing about the past and the last three hundred pages or so, it finally tried to lurch into action and falls flat on its face, like a flan in a cupboard.

You don't feel for the main characters either - all of the known characters act terribly out of their usual canon, or are exaggerated to extremes. One doesn't really feel for Merrick and I'm not even certain which emotions Rice wished to provoke from the reader. Sympathy? Or hatred? It is hard to say, because at first glance, she seems to be one dimensional - just something that has to set the wheels in motion.

And that failed.

What Rice did manage convey in this particular book, is her love for New Orleans and the 'exotic'.

Long story short, 'Merrick' could have been more. Much more. In hindsight, for some, it was also an early peek at the Mayfair family, and it would have been wise for Rice to have delved more into this, rather than what she did in the first place.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Merrick.

message 1: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael I'm currently reading this book, and I can't agree with you at all. This book is very important in the development of the Character of David Talbot in creating depth to him and giving him more backstory that he's ever had in the past. The book also gives us a bit more insight into the Talamasca. Thus far, and I'm only halfway through, I like the book.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree Michael...Merrick is one of Rice's best and most fascinating creations. The book is just barely three hundred pages and its absolutely grand.